Health and Hip Flexibility
Our hips are incredibly important for our muscle strength in many areas of the body. The continuous misuse of our hip extensions really add up. You may not realise the extent, but it could be an injury waiting to happen.
In general, we sit too much. This impacts our hip mobility by weakening the glutes and shortens the hip flexors. Both your glutes and your hip flexors support the activation of your hips, so when they’re weak or inactive, the lower back takes over. The lower back, or the lumbar spine, isn’t designed for a ton of activity – it’s mainly there to provide support and stability.
Our hips are actually designed to generate a large amount of power, so it’s a concern when we see so many people not taking advantage of their hip strength. Restoring your hip mobility will help in many areas for your body. It will eliminate lower back and knee pain that might be caused from overcompensation.
Your hips are one of the most common sites of poor mobility, therefore many of us are experiencing a dysfunction in that area. Take the next step to improving this problem with some simple stretches.
Learn more about our physiotherapy services.
Stretches to Help Hip Flexibility
- Stretching Iliopsoas
- Sit on the edge of a chair with one leg over the edge creating a 90 degrees angle with the opposite hip.
- Tilt your pelvis backwards to flatten your lower back and transfer your weight forward until you feel a gentle stretch on the front of your hip.
- Maintain trunk posture upright.
- Stretching Piriformis
- Using your same side hand as your hip you are trying to stretch, grab the back of the knee.
- Pull the knee towards your chest and opposite shoulder until you feel a gentle stretch in your buttock. To increase the stretch with your opposite hand pull up your ankle of the stretching hip to create more rotation.
- Hold for 30 seconds.
- Slowly return to initial position.
If these stretches are not resolving your symptoms, then give us a call.
We would be happy to help you with your recovery.
- Massage for Temporomandibular Joint Issues: Alleviate Jaw Discomfort and Loosen Your Upper Back - December 20, 2022
- Freedom From Back Pain: How Massage Works To Relieve Pain - December 4, 2022
- Orthotics for Flat Feet: The Very Best Foot Care Product for Your Flat Feet - October 18, 2022