People often do not know what to do after they have been in a MVC. Here are some early rehabilitation management recommendations:
- Make sure to report the accident at your local police station.
- Call your Insurance agent.
- You must see your Physiotherapist within 10 days of your collision, regardless of who is at fault.
Here are some of the injuries you should be aware of right after you have been in a MVC:
- The ice sharp pains, heat dull aches and try to really slow down the first week of recovery to reduce swelling in the tissue.
- Do gentle, pain free ROM exercises 5 – 10 times depending on pain experience, do 5 if painful, 10 if feeling better, 3 – 6 times per day.
- Neck – forward – looking down, backward – looking up, and rotation (shoulder checking) both ways through the neck.
- Upper back/trunk – gentle, slow rotation with your arms across your chest.
- Walking is another great activity that will increase the blood flow through the body and speed up your recovery. Walk for 10 minutes, 3 – 6 times per day.
The sooner you get started, the faster your recovery. So if you, your friends, family or work colleagues have been in a MVC lately, tell them to give us a call to get them moving faster and feeling better.
Make sure that all of your family members buckle up to reduce severe injury. If you get into a MVC, give us a call at Thorncliffe at 403.275.7728 or at Beddington at 587.355.2738 to book your MVC Physiotherapy Assessment within 10 days of your collision. Remember to ice your neck for 15 – 20 minutes, 3 – 6 times a day, for the first few days to calm down the swelling and bleeding in your muscle tissues. Drive safe and take care.